kylesdrunk.com

full time single father, part time internet addiction.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I am tired of current events

In my alcohol classes we learned that when you quit drinking, you need to find a new hobby to fulfill the time that was once used drinking. My hobby is definitely reading. I used to read a lot before I got into drinking. Reading was something I couldn't stand in junior high/high school when we were forced to read. Once I got out of that structure I noticed my friend Owen kept reading for pleasure. He showed me that reading could be something enjoyable, if you found books you liked. For me it definitely started with books like 'Invisible Monsters' by Chuck Palahniuk or 'Me Talk Pretty One Day' by David Sedaris. Once I got into it, it was something I did all the time. I would just tell Amazon.com what books I liked and Amazon would recommend other books that I might like. I couldn't get enough of it. Drinking took place of all that though. I quit reading and let drinking take over. Since I have quit drinking I have gotten back into it. It is definitely something that helps curb that feeling of wanting to drink. I found that excitement for books all over again. I love the way they look, I love the different sizes, I love the way they feel and smell. I get so excited renting a new one from the Library or buying old used ones off the internet. I love finding ones I like, or might like at thrift stores. I love finding one that is really good and you fall right in.

It makes me want to be able to write. I love Blogging. Blog, Blog, Blog.

1 comment: